Monday, January 18, 2010

A horse with no name




I've always loved horses, and have often thought
about making a sculpture of one.

It's time to stop thinking about it and just doing it...so



I started this clay horse sculpture- over a week ago.
(It's too bad I didn't take photos from the start, but I'm sure
you know what a round ball of clay looks like. That's how it
started.)

I made the legs and hooves first, by rolling out tubes of clay. I formed
the head, added ears and then covered them in plastic so they wouldn't dry
out. Later, I rolled out a slab of clay & formed the body from it.

A couple of days later, I made the neck and assembled all the pieces.
Added the mane, bangs and tail.
(I made him sitting down, as he's going to have a little friend, a bunny,
mouse, snail ?...I'm not sure yet, but I'll be making that soon.)

Here it is a couple more days, and I've been doing touch ups here and there,
and now I can let the piece dry... VERY slowly, with a few more touchups.

Once he's completely dry, I'll carefully clean any rough spots and sponge off
any excess dust, markings, etc.
Then I'll carve my initials in the bottom, and he'll be ready for his first firing.
(Cone 04 bisque firing) Which will take about 8 or so hours, and then
need to cool overnight.
I have a nice light brown (underglaze for bisque) that I plan to use for his coat.
I'll let some of the natural clay show on his belly, it has a nice creamy color.
Then I'll cover him with 2 coats of clear glaze and let it all dry & fire him again,
to Cone 06 this time.
As long as I don't do something stupid and break him while he's still greenware,
he should turn out pretty good!
I'll have to make some other pieces to fire with him, so it may be a while
before he gets fired.
***************************************
Feb 10/10 update:

In case you're wondering... he's finally completely dry, and I've spent quite a bit of time, softening his features. As I've gently cleaned (sanded) his rough edges, he's evolving into
a gentle and curious young horse. I love his round backside view,
but his soft nose and mane have turned out nice too. He's almost ready for his 1st firing, but not likely to happen in the next few weeks.
While he patiently waits, I've got major stress at work to deal with. Sometimes reality bites, this is one of those times... my clay will be an escape.
*********************
Jan 20/12

This poor little guy has been waiting so patiently... I fired him last year (2011). I was going to glaze and then fire him again, but it's going to be a while before I have enough pieces ready to do a glaze firing, so I've started painting him instead.
One of the girls at work suggested I make him a "Paint" horse. I'm not very savvy about horses, but I like the idea, so I looked up photos of paint horses and got to work... he is ... almost finished...



4 comments:

Kirsty said...

WOW! Nice work!

Angie S said...

Thanks Kirsty!
It's still got long way to go, before it's done.

Campbell Jane said...

Oh my gosh it is soooooo cute! Love the picture from behind showing his behind and belly. Adorable. I can't wait to see it finished!

Angie S said...

Thanks Jane,
I like him from behind too :)